Settlement in the Village of Adell began in 1848 after construction of the railroad and was platted around the first railroad depot located near Prospect and Wisconsin Avenue. Christian Gersmehel platted the original streets and lots in the village on a portion of his 160-acre farmstead. The Village was initially named Sherman Station after the railroad station and Sherman, the town in which it is located. One of the early settlers was Jacob Haxner, a carpenter y trade, who built many of the log homes in the Village.
In 1890 the name was changed to Adell when the first post office was constructed. At that time the Village population was 140. The Village became incorporated in 1918. Joseph Kilb was elected as Adell’s first village president. Population grew to 313 in 1940 and reached 545 residents in 1980. Some of the early businesses in downtown were the American Hotel (Maine Avenue and Mill Street), a furniture store, two livery stables, a blacksmith, a wagon and plow manufacturer, E.B. Burr and Company (manufacturer of preserves), and Adell State Bank.
Currently, the Village of Adell has a population of approximately 517 and encompasses an area of approximately 356 acres. Located in southwestern Sheboygan County on State Highway 57, the Village is surrounded by the rural Towns of Sherman and Lyndon. There are no major waterways within or adjacent to the Village.
|Police & Crime|
|Police Department||Sheboygan County Sheriff’s Department|
|Violent Crime per 1.000 residents||0.00 (National Median: 3.8)|
|Property Crime per 1.000 residents||10.74 (National Median: 27.3)|
|Fire & Rescue|
|Fire Service Provider||Random Lake Volunteer Fire Department|
|Ambulance Service Provider||Random Lake Fire Department Ambulance Squad|
|Emergency Medical Services|
|Hospital in Community||No. A hospital is 22 miles away|
|Urgent Care in Community||No. A clinic is 15 miles away|